Can you really put silver cutlery in the dishwasher?
- For foods that are particularly high in protein or acid, rinse your cutlery (especially the knife blades) after use and before putting in the dishwasher.
- Place the knives with the blade pointing downwards.
- Use between a third and a half (maximum) of the recommended amount of detergent. Dishwasher detergent manufacturers recommend using far too much detergent, especially for new, modern appliances that only need 8-10 litres of water per wash cycle. Using too much detergent can lead to discolouration. Plus, salt that has not fully dissolved can remain as crystalline residues on knife blades.
- Dishwasher tablets have a relatively high oxygen content, which is a contributing factor in staining (especially the "2 in 1" or "3 in 1" tablets). We recommend completely avoiding compact detergents (tablets and powder) and using conventional dishwasher detergents.
- Use detergent, rinse aid and dishwasher salt from one the same manufacturer or product range, as they are designed to work in harmony with each other.
- After rinsing, open the dishwasher door to allow steam to escape and prevent deposits caused by salty or acidic steam. To remove any crystalline residue from the dishwashing detergent, wipe the cutlery (especially the knife blades) dry with a soft cloth.
- Should tarnishing still occur after cleaning the silver in the dishwasher, e.g. due to hard water, this can be easily and gently removed with a Robbe & Berking silver care product.
- Cutlery with horn, mother-of-pearl or wood parts is not dishwasher-safe.
All news from Robbe & Berking: Subscribe to our newsletter!
Robbe & Berking
The silver manufacturer Robbe & Berking was founded in 1874 and is still a pure family business today – now in its 5th generation.
Manu Factum – made by hand – is everything that bears the name of the company. The master silversmiths in the silver manufactory and the master boat builders in the Robbe & Berking yacht manufactory are responsible for the unrivalled quality worldwide. It is not the limited possibilities of rational large-scale production, but the hands of the master craftsmen and women alone that determine the form and quality of each piece of work.
This is how cutlery and tableware of timeless elegance and beauty are created, which never just follow passing fashions or trends, but are made to last for generations. As the market leader in silver cutlery, Robbe & Berking is a supplier to the world's finest businesses.